Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Random Act of Kindness

A quick trip to the grocery store led to a major revelation: everything happens for a reason. I have suspected this to be true for a long time but what happened today verified it. I was actually really angry and a road trip was the LAST thing I wanted to do today. I was tired, it was freezing outside, and to top it off I had a migraine that wouldn't end. A ridiculous fight about a bag a frozen nuggets led me to take the kids to the store to replace them with another brand. On our way out of the store, I saw this sign on the candy machines. It was a small poster with a bunch of quarters duct taped to it that read: " 26 Random Acts of Kindness. In honor of the lives lost at Sandy Hook Elementary. ♥Pay It Forward♥" The boys happily got their prizes and we got back in the car. They beamed all the way home because we rarely "waste" money on the machines. It really was a treat. I felt so bad about being cranky about something so trivial as chicken and letting my sour mood affect everyone around me. My mood completely changed. Over a quarter. It sounds ridiculous but how could I not be happy seeing their faces light up over something so small.  And I couldn't believe someone in our small town of Hartville had done that. I read a lot of stories online about people committing "random acts of kindness" but I don't really know many people that have personally received a gift like that. It made me happy and sad at the same time. So I decided that we were going to dedicate the whole year to giving back. Twenty six acts a month, no matter how small will remind us to be thankful for what we have and to share it with others. I made a small donation to the Newtown community when we got home. I had wanted to make a contribution when I first heard about the tragedy but didn't think my small donation would even make a difference. And now I know every penny counts. I invite you to take this journey with me and commit 26 random acts of kindness yourself. And if you do, please share your stories with me. I would love to hear any ideas or suggestions you have. Spread the joy!

5 comments:

  1. Pennie, I love this! How wonderful that something so profound nationwide has come from heartbreaking tragedy. Personally, I have found a greater patience with my own children, less laundry and chores to do during their waking time and a greater willingness to let those little things go. One week following this tragedy, as I was privileged enough to be able to complete shopping for my own children, and thankful to do so with each purchase, I spent that day finding little ways of being kind to others. I purchased the paper for an elderly gentleman behind my while buying coffee, went back down a hallway to open the door for a worker carrying a large load of carpets and took the extra five minutes to talk to a cashier about her upcoming family trip that she was anxious about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan, I've been thinking about your comments, especially about talking to the cashier. That's a good reminder for me about taking extra time to listen to people. I think too often I'm in such a rush to get things done that I miss a lot of opportunities to think of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to be more positive this year. I seem to have lost myself somewhere along the way, I'm not the fun-loving person I used to be, so I'm trying to "find" myself. I think this RAK thing may be a good place to start, its actually encouraged in the company I work for, and that was before the Newtown incident occurred. I've actually witnessed a 26 RAK when a server I worked with received a $100 tip with a note attached stating that's what it was and to please pay it forward. I think I will start today, positive thoughts and positive acts, what a difference it could make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, it would be fun to do anonymous things at work. Would definitely increase morale. I'm going to do that, thanks Mae!! And I agree, my karma can definitely use some help!!

      Delete